Some contract details
Here are contract details for some deals reached by the D-backs this winter:
– Reliever Takashi Saito, signed to a one-year $1.75 million deal in mid-December has a clause in his contract where the D-backs where pay for an interpreter with a maximum salary of $45,000. In addition, Saito gets eight round-trip business class tickets from Tokyo to Arizona.
– A perk in left-hander Joe Saunders’ one-year $6 million deal, is a hotel suite during road trips.
– Outfielder Jason Kubel will receive $7.5 million in 2012 and 2013 with a mutual option of $7.5 million for 2014. Kubel will receive a $500,000 buyout if the club declines his option.
– Non-roster invitee Cody Ransom has a split contract that pays him $19,000 per month while in Minor Leagues and a salary of $500,000 if he’s in the big leagues. If he is not on the Major League roster on April 4, Ransom can request his release. The D-backs then have 24 hours to grant him that release or add him to the roster.
– Non-roster invitee Jason Lane has a split contract that pays him $10,000 a month in the Minor Leagues and $500,000 if in the big leagues.