D-backs vs. Padres Notes — April 10
A few leftovers from D-backs manager Kirk Gibson’s pregame meeting with us as well as links and some photos from today…
– Gibson was pleased with the way his pitchers executed their pitches in the Giants series.
“One thing we did pretty good last series was when we had to make pitches we executed them overall when we needed to so it’s easier to defend,” Gibson said.
– Gibson also liked the way the D-backs kept the Giants running game in check. The Giants added some speed to their lineup this offseason with the idea of being more aggressive on the bases.
“We were able to keep for the most part keep those guys where they weren’t just running at will,” Gibson said.
– The D-backs have not had a chance yet to fully evaluate Josh Collmenter’s rough start from Sunday. They were off Monday and spent Tuesday preparing for the series with Padres.
“I’m sure we’ll have some conversation about it and try to get him on the right track and make sure he’s able to duplicate his pitches where he wants to throw them,” Gibson said.
– PETCO Park is relatively new to Jason Kubel, who only has three games of experience here after playing his entire career in the American League with the Twins.
“It’s going to be different for him to get around to different stadiums and different staffs,” Gibson said. “This is a new team and how we do things. It is different so he’ll catch on quickly and use the information to his benefit very shortly.”
– In case you missed this, Stephen Drew told a touching story about one of his first baseball gloves.
– Here are some photos: